Thursday 18 April 2019

GloPoWriMo2019 Day Seventeen

Today we turn the tables.

As a child we learn to respect knowledge and
To assume that with learning comes wisdom.
We are raised to view the ones who attain power
As possessing wisdom, for without it they could not be in power.

I may be small, Mr Politician, but I can watch you.
I see you on television, talking about important things.
I listen to your words about education.
Education concerns me, Mr Politician.
I understand that it is important that I can read and write,
But I do not understand why it is more important that
I understand a subjunctive clause than that I
Understand the meaning of birdsong.
I understand that I must be taught important things
And that those who teach me are important people,
But I do not understand why you will not pay
Enough important people to help me learn.
I understand that it is important that I treat
Everyone as my equal, and do not judge on your
Terms of colour, class or gender, but I
Do not understand why there is one rule for
You, and a different rule for me.
I understand that there are glories in my past,
But when you tell me of them I see only sadness,
And I do not understand why the old people, the
Ones who should have grown wiser with the years,
Should want to make me live in the past and
Not have any hope for the future.
I understand we need to live in harmony with
The earth, and do not understand why you cannot
Understand that simple truth.

I understand, Mr Politician, that what I was taught
Is wrong, and that you are not in power because you are wise,
But you are in power because you understand the importance
Of money, and of self, and all else is just words.
I understand, Mr Politician, I understand.
I understand that you are no more than a fool.

(c) 2ndwitch, 17/04/19

No comments:

Post a Comment