Sunday 28 April 2019

GloPoWriMo2019 Day Twenty-eight

Today we write about poems


I could write about any number of poems that I have read
Over the many years that I have been reading poetry.
There have been short poems, long poems,
Ones that rhyme, ones that do not rhyme,
Ones with a regular metre, ones that ramble and meander to the end of their lines
And then drift onto the next line as well and

sometimes into the next stanza.
But on poem has stayed with me, and seems
To grow in impact as we live through
This month of fools.

"History repeats itself.
Has to.
No-one listens."

It is short, but it is so much to the point,
And I do not know why I am trying to
Write new poetry when these three
Simple lines say everything that everyone else
Has ever said.

There have always been fools.
There will always be fools.
We are all sailing on the ship of fools.

(c) 2ndwitch, 28/04/19

No comments:

Post a Comment