Sunday 16 April 2017

GloPoWriMo 2017 - day sixteen

Today the prompt is a letter.


Dear Mother.

I am in receipt of your last, my thanks for
Your words of advice.
However, I fear I need to remind you that
It is now too late to regret the birth
Of several children, and that your repeated
Suggestions regarding abortions and the like
Would be construed as murder when the
Children in question are alive and in this world.
Yours sincerely, Daughter.

I am again in receipt of your letter, for which
I thank you for taking the time to write.
I am well aware that you consider the man I
Married to be a waste of space, however regardless
Of your views, I am married to him, and as he is the
Father of the children you have previously
Recommended I abort, then I think you will have to
Come to terms with the marriage as well as their existence.
Yours sincerely, Daughter.

I am in receipt of your recent, again I thank you
For expending your energy and ink in writing.
I do realise that if you had arranged to have an abortion
When you became pregnant with me there would
Not be this exchange of letters, and nor would
You be in a position to chastise me for my choices
And actions since I was born.
I acknowledge and accept that I am a disappointment to you,
But I fear that I am now too far down the path I am on
To return and change anything.
I would find it difficult and not appealing to become
A son that you might have preferred.
I gather from your comments that using my brain to study
And pursue education is not a commendable activity.
This is a pity, as study is one of the few things I am
Competent at.
Yours sincerely, Daughter.

I finally got the telephone call last night, dear Mother,
Although the initial calls were ignored as someone
Was at the time harassing me over the return of some
Music, and was refusing to accept that it would be sent as
Soon as we could organise the posting. I think he wanted
Me to get in the car and drive 30 miles to deliver it there and then.
Anyway, it meant I missed the call from the hospital that
Told of your demise.
So in death, as in all of my life, I failed you.
And I will simply have to live with that knowledge.
Yours sincerely,
The fat, ugly, useless, failure of a daughter that you created.

(c) 2ndwith, 16/04/17

No comments:

Post a Comment