Wednesday 5 April 2017

GloPoWriMo 2017 - day three

Today the challenge is to write an elegy.
This post is back posted due to being elsewhere and busy.

Given my intention to use this month to more closely examine some painful stuffs, this prompt is both easy and hard. I am sure my reader who knows me will expect one specific subject here, but I am not doing that - I might in some way by the end, but not yet.


Let's do it.

The power of the internal combustion engine always held you in thrall
And on a fine day, any trip, any trip at all
Would be met with a smile
And 'Let's do it'.
So we did all sorts, you and I, from the Lakes to the Dales
And down the Midlands and Wales;
And as the bike ate the miles
You said 'Let's do it.'
We stopped for a bun and a mug of strong driver's tea
Or sometimes we stopped for the scenery.
Wherever we were, whatever beguiled,
You'd say 'Let's do it'.
But it was not so easy, we did not always concur
And plans and ideas caused rancour.
We argued and bickered and riled
As you said 'Let's do it'.
You gave up on the bike, bought a fancy new car
And thought we could us it to travel afar,
But I had exams, and all the while
You'd say 'Let's do it'.
In time we decided, as we grew and matured, to try life apart
And our last words were in anger, to sting and to smart.
And no longer a couple for a period of trial
You said 'Let's do it'.
One week on from that last heated affray
You set out to visit me on Valentine's Day
You never arrived, two of you died
And so we've never done it again.

(c) 2ndwitch, 03/04/2017

(The two who died were the subject of the elegy and the driver of the bus that was in the collision. I will always grieve more for that innocent family man who died because of carelessness than I actually do for my ex.)

No comments:

Post a Comment