Wednesday 18 April 2018

GloPoWriMo 2018 - day fourteen

Today the prompt is to write a poem based on dream symbolism, using one or two given words - in this case seagull and hammer.


The Demon in the Teashop.

As the night rolled past the ticking hours
My mind was inspired to dream
And the dream was not of flowers
Or pretty plants and streams.
Instead along the wild seafront
I wandered, all alone,
When a tapping and ringing note
Was heard, source unknown.
I turned at once, to check this out
And what did I espy
But a seagull, without a doubt
Hammering, with mournful cry.
Dear seagull, what, I have to ask
Are you doing? Pray stop
And tell me the purpose of your task
Before I visit the adjacent teashop.
The seagull it glared, and opening its beak,
Thus dropping the hammer it held,
And answered me, in words clear to speak
That here was a tale it could tell.
Visit not, it said, the nearby cafe
And risk not their scones or cakes
For to enter would be to go astray
And to eat great risk to take.
I walked on past this ominous gull
And pushed open the teashop door,
Of tea and cake I would be full
Before walking on once more.
I sat me down, and ordered tea
And a scone to have as well,
And then a bloodstained banshee
Allowed her voice to swell.
Go forth you evil one, she said,
And leave this my dwelling place,
With tea you should only have but bread
And butter, you're a great disgrace.
So dear friend, if in your dreams,
A hammering seagull you encounter,
It may be best no to order tea
Unless with plain bread and butter!


No comments:

Post a Comment