Monday 6 March 2017

NaPoWriMo 2014 09


On Independence.

Whatever they say, they cannot take away
The "Things that we have carried here", those
Things will be with whether the rain falls or
The sun shines. And so, because, and due to that
Being the case "Why must I plead" for the
Chance to be free? "Please sir" may I use my vote?
For whatever happens, in friendship and honour we can
Remain friends on "Both sides the Tweed", the ship
We seek to sail in may well be "Windward Away"
But the fight is far from over, and perhaps, perchance
To dream, we will be happy, though
For some it may only be "Still in dreams".

© 2ndwitch, 09/04/14

(My thanks to Martyn Joseph, Richard Thompson, Martyn Joseph again, Dick Gaughan, Archie Fisher and Ralph McTell, who had the good sense to be the next six tracks on shuffle on my iPod, and were the prompt for this NaPoWriMo poem!)

No comments:

Post a Comment