Monday 6 March 2017

NaPoWriMo 2016 29

Today's prompt is "I remember".


I remember the pattern on the curtains, the light from the street lamps
Piercing them via the uneven weave.
I remember the sound of the trains, passing in the night,
Carrying the mail.
I remember the puddle of oil in the garage, lurking on a tray
Beneath the old car.
I remember the smell of the workshop, old tools and papers,
Mingling in the half light.
I remember the pad of the dog's paws, helter skelter on
The garden path.
I remember the travel sickness of the back seat, and the extra strong
Mints that were the cure.
I remember the smell of egg sandwiches, and the complaints of the
Other children who had ham or cheese.
I remember how the outhouse door jammed, and the effort needed
To open or shut it.
I remember the corroded rust of the bars that supported the swing seat
And the creak as I rose to look over the garage roof.
I remember the hiding places, the dens, the lonely paths, the call of
The stock on the moss.
I remember the bird song, the wordless stories of a land far away,
And a life elsewhere.

(c) 2ndwitch, 29/04/16

No comments:

Post a Comment