Monday 6 March 2017

NaPoWriMo 2014 27



On viewing a family portrait.

When long-days shorten, and green-greys to red-brown
And fades; when the ageing year slows and howls
As the clouds cast gloom and cry ice-tears for all that
Has been lost; when the heat of the sun is distant in
Memory, and the golden light no longer glows; when the
Gaudy of the winter dark is rainbow-splashed in dormant
And turgid pools; when the life-blood no longer flows red,
But browns and drips, oil-washed iridescent swirls whilst
The flower petals fade and fall; then, and only then,
I can cast aside the burden that is life and love, only then
I can allow the grief to halt me, to call me in, and only then
I can mourn the passing time, and finally bid goodbye.

© 2ndwitch, 27/04/14

(I should explain that the inspiration was not a portrait of my family, but an old picture I came across online, of the family of a minor 'celebrity', which is why I cannot reproduce it as the photo for this poem. I have therefore chosen another portrait, which says something to me but that will make no sense to anyone else!)

No comments:

Post a Comment