Monday 6 March 2017

NaPoWriMo 2015 12

Today we are describing in prose and ending up with a poem. Or not . . .

There was a moment, just a single moment,
When I knew.
There was no doubt, no hesitation, no uncertainty,
I simply knew.
The beat of the heart of the land pulsed
Through the pier, and the smell of the island
Wove a web of fascination around me in
The dark of the middle of the night.
We had sailed in, through fog on rolling seas,
And docked at midnight.
We traveled to the hostel by taxi, seeing just
A blur of lights and shadows, houses and
Industrial units, boats in the harbour, and cars
Driving back and forth along the road.

Next morning we walked to the wall, and looked out
Across the water. We saw the dull shine
Of reflected steel-grey clouds on slowly
Rolling seas, and watched them caress
The hill top, bathing the town in a cool
And softling light.
Each step we walked was on a thousand years,
And on another thousand, and another.
On this land stands man since time began.

In that one moment I fell in love, and
Although since I have learnt an evil
Side, and seen the corrupted underbelly
Of that same land, I love it still.
My heart lies there.

© 2ndwitch, 12/04/15

No comments:

Post a Comment